Passport Requirements

Don’t get left behind, make sure you have the proper identification to board the ship.


Remember, you are leaving the country! 

Below are passport guidelines as of August 2020, however they are subject to change. We strongly encourage all guests to visit the Department of Homeland Security website ( or the Foreign Affairs & International Trade Canada website ( for the most up-to-date traveler information including passport and visa requirements as well as travel advisories and safety recommendations.

Please Note:  Guests who fail to have the required documents as determined by U.S. Customs & Immigration will be denied boarding and such guests shall not be entitled to any refund nor shall Cruise to the Edge, On the Blue Cruises, Inc. & CTTE, LLC, and/or Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, have any further liability to such guests.

Recommendation from CTTE:
Although a passport is not required at this time for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel) for the following reasons:

  • If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship.
  • You unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of a sailing. Should this occur, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your name, as listed on your travel documents, must exactly match your name as listed on your Cruise documents (middle names are not required).

All U.S. Citizens are required to carry ONE of the three sets of document options below:

  1. U.S. PassportRECOMMENDED – U.S. Passport must be valid through the dates of travel of the cruise as well as not expired and valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel.


  1. Proof of Citizenship (see below) AND Government-issued valid photo ID 
  • Original or State Certified copy of a Government Issued Birth Certificate with a raised seal or in some cases a holographic image.
    • Neither a notarized copy of a birth certificate NOR a Live Hospital Birth Certificate will be accepted by Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”).
    • If you are traveling using a birth certificate and you have had a name change (i.e.: marriage), you will need to provide proof of that name change (i.e.: marriage license).
    • A U.S. Citizen under the age of 16 does not require a Government issued photo ID, however, must provide proof of citizenship.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad– Notarized copies are not acceptable.  We highly recommend that if at all possible, guests travel with a Passport.
  • Certificate of Naturalization –Notarized copies are not acceptable.  We highly recommend that if at all possible, guests travel with a Passport.


  1. WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) Compliant documents (click here for more information)

PLEASE NOTE:  We have been informed by the CBP that they will NOT accept the following forms of ID:

  1. Notarized Photo Copy of a Birth Certificate
  2. Notarized Photo Copy of a Passport
  3. Copy of a Passport
  4. Record of Live Birth from a Hospital / Hospital Birth Certificate
  5. World Passport
  6. Social Security Card
  7. Voter Registration Card
  8. Baptismal Certificate

These documents are NOT WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable proof of citizenship.

For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit: 



This passport must NOT Expire within (6) Months of the Return Date of the Cruise. A tourist visa may be required for entry into certain countries/ports of call. To confirm the specific documents required, please be sure to check with the proper authorities (such as your local immigration office) for each port that you are entering.

In addition to a valid passport, U.S. Alien Residents holding an Alien Resident Card (ARC), also known as a “Green Card” must be in possession of the ARC in order to sail. U.S. Alien Residents who do not have their ARC with them at check in will be denied boarding. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have travel permits and/or visas to enter countries visited.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry / reentry into the United States. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired, or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail.
On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation.

For additional information, visit:

Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine-readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable. Guests are advised to check with their consulate, or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents.

All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization. Citizens from the Visa Waiver Program countries seeking to enter the United States will be required to have in their possession a machine readable, biometric passport with a digital photograph valid for the duration of the voyage. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

A machine-readable passport has an alpha-numeric code like this on the bottom of the picture page:


For additional details about ESTA and/or the Visa Waiver Program please visit:…

For more information, to see if your country qualifies for the Visa Waiver program, and to apply for a travel authorization, see ESTA.

CTTE and the other Released Parties (as herein defined) assume no responsibility for advising you of immigration requirements. Non-U.S. citizens, including resident aliens, must contact the appropriate consulates, embassies and/or immigration office(s) to inquire about necessary documentation for the Cruise’s ports of call.

All guests must present the required documentation at embarkation. Guests without the required documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line will strictly enforce this requirement to be in compliance with this important U.S. Government mandate.

Beginning October 1, 2021, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States. REAL ID compliant cards are generally marked with a star located in the upper portion of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

For more information on REAL ID and Air Travel, click HERE.

Family Legal Documents: Adults who are not the Parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) or the child’s birth certificate (original or certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a Non-Parent Adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Other Relevant Links

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Department of Homeland Security

Applying for a Passport